Graduate Student Guides
Graduate students already enrolled in the Sustainable Forest Management Graduate Program should be familiar with the basic guidelines for progress in graduate degrees set by the OSU Graduate School.
- Oregon State University Graduate Student Success Guide, prepared by the OSU Graduate School.
- CoF Graduate Student Survival Guide.
- Sustainable Forest Management Advising Guide (PDF).
Graduate Student Forms
- For a list of Graduate School forms, including Change of Term or Major, Leave of Absence, Petition for Late
- Program of Study Forms:
- PhD. Should be filed with the Graduate School prior to scheduling the preliminary written examination.
- MF/MS. Should be filed with the Graduate School 15 weeks prior to the final examination.
- Dual-degree forms can be found here.
- Petition for Change in Program
Graduate Advisory Committee
In consultation with their major professor, we recommend students establish a graduate advisory committee and develop a program of study during their second (MF/MS) or third term (PhD).
- SFM Graduate Student Program Checklists:
- SFM Graduate Student Rubrics:
Completion of Program and Exit Process
requirements. It also important to clear up any incomplete grades or other residual issues
from past coursework or examinations.
- Submit a diploma application: Diplomas are issued four times a year, at the end of each term. You must
complete a diploma application form to receive your diploma. Your diploma will reflect degree awarded;
your transcript will reflect academic major and degree awarded. SFM areas of concentration will not be
visible on diploma or final transcript. Diplomas are available from the Registrar's Office approximately
six weeks after the end of the term. Diplomas earned Spring term are available at Commencement
Click "Student Records"
Click "Apply for Graduation"
*Depending on date of defense Spring term, you will be able to participate in the Commencement
ceremony, but your diploma may not be presented at the event and will instead be available for pick-up
the following week. Confirm these final deadlines with your SFM Graduate Coordinator if concerned
about diploma availability at Commencement.
Bring to SFM Graduate Program Coordinator to attain Department Head signature. Should you need
- Finalize your presentation date, time, and location with the SFM Graduate Program Coordinator as soon as
possible. *Those graduating Spring term should finalize this date at least two months prior to your
planned defense date.*
Note: you should have your room reservation finalized with the SFM Graduate Program
Coordinator prior to completing this online form.
- Contact the SFM Graduate Program Coordinator for assistance in advertising for your presentation. Can
include creation of flyer, postings in CoF Today and OSU Today newsletters, University event calendar,
and email notification to Department on day of defense.
- Important thesis and dissertation information can be found on the Graduate School Thesis Guide website.
exam. This requirement applies to thesis and doctoral students only; MF (non-thesis) graduates do not
complete this process. Students may bring the form to the SFM Graduate Program Coordinator to attain
the Department Head's signature, and she will then submit the form to the Graduate School.
- As soon as the defense is complete and the thesis/dissertation is filed with the Graduate School, the FERM
Department Head will request an exit interview with the student to discuss her/his program and
experiences in the department. This feedback is a critical part of FERM’s commitment to continuous
improvement in its teaching efforts.